Sara Ross, Ph.D.
Degrees and Certifications
Ph.D. University of Wisconsin—Madison
Ross’s course offerings including Women in Film, Film History, Narrative Video Production and Screenwriting. She has been teaching film studies and production at Sacred Heart since 2006.
Recent Courses Taught: Women in Film, Film History, Romantic Comedy in Film and Television, Narrative Video Production, Television Newsmagazine Production, Vampires in Popular Culture, and Screenwriting
Research Interests & Grants
Late silent film, female characters in Hollywood, romantic comedy, film aesthetics, video production
Publications and Presentations
- “Asta the Screwball Dog: Gender, Class and Hollywood’s Canine Sidekick” Cinematic Canines: Dogs and Their Work in the Fiction Film, Under Contract, 2013, Co-authored with Jim Castonguay, Rutgers University Press
- “Invitation to the Voyage: The Flight Sequence in Contemporary 3D Cinema”, Film History, (vol. 24, no. 2), 2012, Indiana University Press
- “Screening the Modern Girl: Intermediality in the Adaptation of Flaming Youth”, Modernism and Modernity (vol. 17, no. 2), 2010, Johns Hopkins University Press
- “1922 - Movies and the Perilous Future”, American Cinema of the 1920s: Themes and Variations, 2009, Lucy Fischer, editor, Rutgers University Press
- “The Americanization of Tsuru Aoki: Orientalism, Melodrama, Star Image and the New Woman”, Camera Obscura 60 (vol. 20, no. 3), 2005, Duke University Press
- “‘Good Little Bad Girls’: Silent Comediennes and the Performance of Girlish Sexuality”, Film History, (vol. 13, no. 4), 2001, Lea Jacobs, editor, Indiana University Press
- “Early Experiments with the Cinematic Flapper,”Aura, (vol. 6, no. 2), 2000, Kristin Thompson, editor.
- "The Hollywood Flapper and the Culture of Media Consumption," Hollywood Goes Shopping: American Cinema and Consumer Culture, David Desser and Garth Jowett, editors, University of Minnesota Press, 2000.
Dr. Ross is the author of scholarly articles on subjects from Hollywood flappers in the 1920s to contemporary 3-D cinema. She has published in the journals Film History, Camera Obscura, Modernism and Modernity, Aura, and in a number of anthologies.