We will be holding a number of informational and/or training sessions up and down the coast of Connecticut. These informational/training sessions will give a brief history of Project Limulus and an overview of our research as well as training volunteers as to how to conduct spawning surveys and tag horseshoe crabs according to USFWS spawning survey and tagging protocols. We will also be signing up anyone interested in volunteering to help with the project.
Please note that due to weather and other circumstances the times/locations listed below may change and/or be cancelled. We will do our best to update them as fast as possible, that said, please be sure to check back here 1-2 days before your session to double check the time/location.
To register for an information session, email email@example.com
- Friday, April 17, 2015, WSHU (91.1): WNPR’s Where We Live, hosted by John Dankosky in Hartford, CT. Red Knots and Horseshoe Crabs.
- May 11, 2015 at CT Audubon Coastal Center, 7:00 PM: 1 Milford Pt. Road, parking lot. Horseshoe crab spawning census training and data collection.
- Sunday, May 24th and Monday, May 25th from 10:00a.m. to 1:00p.m: Tagging and Beach walk at the CT Audubon Coastal Center, 1 Milford Point Rd, Milford, CT. Meet Student Research Assistants in the Parking Lot. After 10:15a.m. they will be down on the beach.
Wednesday, May 27th, 7:00PM: Presentation “Project Limulus: A Community Research Program” at the Milford Public Library, 57 New Haven Ave Milford, CT. Learn about this fascinating native species and how you can help ensure their conservation. This ALL AGES program is an initiative of the Sacred Heart University Biology Department. Contact: Suzanne Harrison-Thomas at SThomas@ci.milford.ct.us.
- Saturday, May 30th, 11:00AM: Dr. Jennifer Mattei will present a summary of the results from 15 years of conservation work on the horseshoe crab in Long Island Sound and train new volunteers to tag on Block Island. Talk Begins at 11:00a.m. at the Island Free Library. Walk to the beach will follow at 11:45a.m. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or plan to attend.
- Sunday, May 31st, 4:30p.m. to 7:00p.m. Beach walk and tagging demonstration at CT Audubon Coastal Center, 1 Milford Pt. Rd, Milford, CT. Please email: Dr. Mattei, email@example.com if you are planning to attend.
- Sunday, June 28th, 2:30p.m. Lecture and Beach walk, tagging, search for baby horseshoe crabs. Greenwich Seaside Center, Greenwich Point Park. The Seaside Center is located on Tod's Driftway, near the entrance of Greenwich Point Park, Old Greenwich. For more information, contact Cynthia Ehlinger, 203-413-6756 or firstname.lastname@example.org