Pediatric Obesity: Prevalence, Management and Intervention Programs
Sacred Heart University’s Department of Exercise Science will host a colloquium on Wednesday, December 2, at 2 p.m. in University Commons about pediatric obesity. Students will discuss what they’ve learned in their senior seminar class. This event is free and open to the public.
- What diet interventions work?
- How can families work together?
- Are there simple strategies to increase daily physical activity and/or energy expenditure?
Topics discussed will also include:
- What is childhood obesity?
- What is its prevalence? Nationwide? Statewide?
- Co-morbidities of pediatric obesity
- Physical activity recommendations for those working with children
- How does the school system have an effect?
- Advertisement impact on food choices
- Assessment of body fat
- Parents as role models
- Motivational and behavioral aspects
- Weight stigma & social isolation of obese children
- Ethnic differences
- Clinical management