Sacred Heart University and Microsoft will be migrating student emails from Live@Edu to Office 365. This will upgrade email, web, and collaboration tools to Microsoft Office 365.
The upgrade will begin on Friday, August 16th and we expect your account to be upgraded by August 18th.During the upgrade process you may lose access to your account but no emails will be lost.
What does this mean to you?
After the upgrade you will have three accounts instead of two:
- SHU Network account. This account gives you access to your on campus services such as Blackboard, WebAdvisor, etc, and can also be used to access your new Office 365 account through the MySHU Portal. In other words, nothing will change here.
- Office 365account. This account, in the format email@example.com, gives you access to your school email and other Office 365 features. Sacred Heart University also administers this account. You can keep this even after you graduate. After the upgrade we will be syncing this account to your SHU Network account, including your password.
- Personal Microsoft account. This personal account, also in the format
firstname.lastname@example.org, will give you access to all your existing SkyDrive content, Messenger, and other Microsoft services. Note that Sacred Heart University will no longer administers this account. As a result, we can’t reset passwords for you. This is also yours to keep as well.
What should you expect?
Password. Immediately after the upgrade, your password will remain the same. Afterwards new passwords will have to be 8 characters long. This will be true for all the above accounts. Your SHU Network and Office 365 accounts will have their passwords synchronized. Changing one will change the other.
Email. We will continue to use Microsoft Outlook Web App or Microsoft Outlook to view and send email, but you will sign in at a different website. Please update your bookmarks from https://outlook.com to http://webmail.sacredheart.edu/. You can start using this link today. Your smartphone should continue to work as expected as well.
File sharing. You will be able to use Microsoft SharePoint Online for sharing files and Office Web Apps for creating and reading documents in late August early September when we complete the remainder of the upgrade.
Instant messaging and online meetings. You will have access to use Microsoft Lync Online for both instant messaging and online meetings.
What do you need to do?
Complete the following steps:
- If you are using Internet Explorer 6 or 7, upgrade to a newer web browser such as Internet Explorer 9 or 10, or the latest versions of Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari browsers.
- If you use Outlook application to read your email and you are using Microsoft Office 2003, please download Office 2010 or 2013 from http://software.sacredheart.edu.
- Access your email and calendar at http://webmail.sacredheart.edu/.
- Sign into SkyDrive at https://skydrive.live.com.
INFORMATION AND SUPPORT
If you have questions or need help, contact the IT Call Center at 203-365-7575 or at email@example.com. You can also visit us at The Factory on the main Fairfield campus.