Sacred Heart University Begins Search for New President
Sacred Heart University has formed a committee to begin the search for a new president, according to James T. Morley, Jr., chairman of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees.
The 15-person committee, which will be chaired by Mr. Morley, will include representatives from the University Board of Trustees, faculty, and administration. Alumni and members of the student body will participate in the interviewing process. The new president is expected to be in place by the beginning of the new academic year, in September 2011, Morley said.
“We are going to conduct a national search to find a candidate who can build on the many strengths of Sacred Heart and continue the tradition of excellence that has characterized the University since its founding,” Morley said. “We are looking for a person of integrity and vision: someone devoted to the Catholic intellectual tradition who demonstrates the personal and professional qualities that are most consistent with our unique mission.”
Dr. John J. Petillo, the dean of the University’s Jack Welch College of Business since March 2009, recently assumed the position of interim president. Petillo, who served on the Board of Trustees, is former chancellor and CEO of Seton Hall University in New Jersey and held several executive positions at major corporations, including BlueCross BlueShield and the Newark Alliance in New Jersey.
Morley said that the first undertaking for the committee would be to develop a job description for the position of president that would be given to an executive recruitment firm to conduct a national search. He added that nominations from members of the Sacred Heart University community would also be considered.
Sacred Heart University is the second-largest Catholic university in New England with more than 6,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The school enrolled its largest freshman class ever in 2010. According to Mr. Morley, SHU was “the first Catholic university in America designed to be led and staffed by lay people, it is dedicated to providing education for life and preparation for professional excellence. Inspired by the ecumenical spirit of the Second Vatican Council, our University works to prepare its students to live in and make their contributions to the human community.”
Presidential Search Committee
• James T. Morley, Jr., Chair of the Search Committee, University Trustee
• Seamus Carey, Ph.D., Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
• Michael Emery, Ed.D., Professor, Assistant Dean and Director of Physical Therapy
• Karen Guastelle, Dean, Undergraduate Admissions
• Michael L. Iannazzi, Associate Vice President for Institutional Advancement
• Rev. Robert M. Kinnally, University Trustee
• Most Rev. William E. Lori, S.T.D., Chairman of the Board of Trustees, ex officio
• Bridget Lyons, D.P.S., Associate Professor and Chair of Economics and Finance
• Vincent Maffeo, University Trustee
• Robert J. Matura, University Trustee
• Christopher K. McLeod, University Trustee
• Linda E. McMahon, University Trustee
• Gary Rose, Ph.D., Professor and Chair of Government and Politics
• Lois Schine, University Trustee
• Patricia W. Walker, Ed.D., Dean of the College of Education and Health Profession