Freshman to Volunteer During 'Straight from the Heart' Day
Over 150 freshman and more than 30 members of the faculty and staff at Sacred Heart University will volunteer Thursday during “Straight from the Heart,” a day-long event filled with nearly 20 different community service projects.
The event, which is organized by SHU’s Mentoring Office, starts at 8 a.m. and ends at 8 p.m. Shuttles will be running continuously all day, with the Edgerton Center lobby being the main meeting point.
“The event is a perfect example of holistic education and learning outside of the classroom, since each student group will be lead by a faculty or staff leader,” Dr. Valerie Wherley, director of Student Mentoring, said.
The projects and their respective leaders are listed below.
- Habitat for Humanity: Ray Gordon (Res. Life) and Matthew Kenney (President’s Office)
- Merton Center (breakfast): DJ Moores (English)
- Caroline House: Mandy Pittman (Campus Ministry)
- Columbus School Read-Aloud: Jean Silva (Mathematics) and Janice Kessler (Counseling Center)
- Beardsley Zoo: Barbara Pierce (Biology)
- Alpha Community Services: Mark Jareb (Biology) and Jill Angotta (Learning Center)
- Merton Center (lunch): Joel Quintong (Res. Life) and Jennifer McLaughlin (History)
- Bridgeport Rescue Mission (lunch): Eileen Solomito (Academic Advisement)
- Groundwork Bridgeport Clean-ups: Tim Speicher (Human Movement and Sports Science) and Sean Heffron (Mentor Office)
- Bryant School Read-Aloud: Bridget Lyons (Economics and Finance) and Thomas Forget (Academic Affairs)
- Jewish Home for the Elderly: Annette Bailey (Social Work)
- FSW Family Services: Cara Jordan (Admissions)
- Black Rock Arts Center: Pat Walker (Education and Health Professions) and Nathan Lewis (Art and Design)
- Discovery Museum: Michelle Loris (College of Arts and Sciences)
- Winthrop After-school Program: Phyllis Machledt (Volunteer Services) and Carol Hampton (English)
- Maplewood Annex After-school Program: Maureen Conard (Psychology)
- Playground Painting at Winthrop: Mike Fazzino (student leader)
- Bridgeport Mobile Soup Kitchen (dinner): June-Ann Greeley (Religious Studies)
- “Feel the Warmth” Soup Kitchen (dinner): Jerry Reid (Sociology)
For more information, please contact Dr. Valerie Wherley at 203.396.8355 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.